Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Kirsten's dress safety pins?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member BETSYSLITTLESTAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2002
    Posts
    79
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I was looking thru an old 1992 catalog and noticed that on Kirsten's Meet dress in the catalog picture, the sleeves & cuffs were all held together with little straight pins!
    That's nice looking. [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img] I wonder if little girls who looked closely thought it was really that way. [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]
    Why would it be all held together with pins for the picture?
    I mean, if they'd already made the doll, they'd have dresses that were already sewn together. Could this be an insight into that theory one of the members had that the catalog itmes are only proto-types?
    because if not, I don't understand why the sleeves and cuffs were held together with pins, as if it hadn't been sewed or something.
    Maybe you think I'm crazy for even noticing that, or that I'm crazy for going on about it like it's a big deal.
    But it is curious, it doesn't make sense why a catalog picture would have an outfit held together with pins?? [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member JuliaAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2002
    Posts
    884
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That sounds so interesting. I'd love to see a close-up of those pictures. I had a friend who did some photography for Pleasant Company a couple years ago. She said they did work with prototypes. I never got any details about the products though because it was top-secret. She was great at keeping secrets.
    Julia

  3. #3
    Inactive Member BETSYSLITTLESTAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2002
    Posts
    79
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    when i saw someone responded I was afraid that you'd be like, wow, you must have a lot of time on your hands or something.. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    we have a scanner but i dont know how to work it..i know, i know, and we've had it for like 3 years, it has just been sitting in its box!

    it is in the spring 1992 catalog, the one with the blonde girl sitting on a rock in the woods wearing the girl-sized sam b-day dress and holding sam and her b-day book. (the prettiest of all the covers)

    i would not have noticed the pins, but one of them must have caught the light when the pic was taken because i saw something shiny on the dress, and i thought it was just a button, but i knew the actual dress does not have buttons, so i thought it couldn't be a button. then i noticed around it, there were lots of other little pins sticking around throughout the sleeves & cuffs.

    i am going to check my other catalogs and see if i can find anything like it. (i have catalogs 1992-present, but for some reason am missing ones from 2001).
    i will let u know if any other catalogs have the same thing in it with that dress or with any others.
    if they do, i will tell u all which catalogs have it so hopefully one of them is a catalog you have, and you will be able to see it.
    (i just don't want to bother with the scanner...i am content to let it sit for a while longer
    [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member amsinstl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 2002
    Posts
    51
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am going to look through my magazines too! I got my Kirsten in '92, and her Meet Dress did not come with pins.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2002
    Posts
    781
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I looked at QNPoohBear's catalog scans, and hers start with 1995. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

    Joy

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Katie148's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    457
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Betsy, are you talking about the big two-page photo of Kirsten in her Meet outfit, or are you referring to a picture somewhere else in the catalog? Because I looked at an older catalog of mine that has the original picture of Kirsten in her Meet dress (before they changed the print on the dress, which would have been the same picture shown in a 1992 catalog), and I didn't notice anything that looked like pins in the dress. Could it have been a fluke in the printing of the photo or something? Because I looked hard, but I couldn't see pins anywhere. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member BETSYSLITTLESTAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2002
    Posts
    79
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    KATIE 148
    Are you sure you looked in SPRING '92? I didn't look yet at my other catalogs, but I'm sure it couldn't have been a mistake in the printing. There are clearly little straight pins in her cuffs.
    I thought yu'd all look and see it right away, but since nobody seems to know what I'm talking about, maybe I'll try to see if I can figure out how to do that scanner thing..

  8. #8
    Inactive Member BETSYSLITTLESTAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2002
    Posts
    79
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Whoops, i forgot to add that yes I am talking about the full two page layout of her in her intro dress,
    and when did they change the pattern of the intro dress, because this catalog is form 92 and the dress looks the same as the dress on my kirsten doll who is from 1994.
    [img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Katie148's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    457
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Betsy, if you could get the picture scanned I'd love to see it! The catalog I looked at is not the spring issue, but has the same Kirsten layout picture that would have been in that catalog. I don't know why the pins would show up in one version of the picture but not in another - weird! The only thing I can think of is that maybe the pins were put in to adjust the cuffs and hold them in place for the picture. I'm pretty sure the pattern of Kirsten's Meet dress changed around the time of the Mattel takeover, because my 1997 catalog still has the old picture, while my 1998 catalog has the new one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •